A Sweet Tooth In Sydney

The Pie Tin, Newtown

There’s no shortage of bakeries in Sydney; from the quaint tea-rooms in The Rocks, the brightly-iced cupcake stores cropping up in every shopping mall to the packed cafes in the city and the suburbs spilling pastries and muffins galore.

And then……

Then there is The Pie Tin.

A few Saturdays ago (um, and maybe another time since then….) on a recommendation from a friend at work, myself and two friends decided to hit up Pie Tin in Newtown, a short ten minute train ride from Sydney CBD.

All I can say is: Oh. My. God.

Actually, I should probably say a bit more than that otherwise this is going to be a pretty boring post.

As a cafe, The Pie Tin has….well…pretty much everything you could want.  Let’s start with the pies.  Oh the pies.  Pie and chips, pie and mash, pie and mushy peas, pie and sweet potato chips, pie and baked beans, pie and coleslaw, pie and salad, pie with any two of these for $10.  I mean, seriously, the choice is huge.  And they’re just the sides.

Pies keeping warm at The Pin Tin, Newtown

Pies keeping warm at The Pin Tin, Newtown

There’s beef pies, chicken pies, mincemeat pies, korma pies, vegetarian pies, steak with bacon and cheese pie, pork with apple sauce pie, not to mention the sausage rolls.

I had a vegetarian lentil pie which, instead of a normal pastry top, had a mashed potato lid with an unexpected mound of chips on the side!

Pie Tin; vegetarian lentil pie with chips

The Pie Tin; Vegetarian lentil pie with chips

Ok, enough about the savoury treats.  Let’s get to the real reason I’m so in awe of this place:

The cakes!!

The cakes in Pie Tin differ depending on when you go but this is what we shared between the 3 of us of the 2 occasions we went;

The Pie Tin; lime and strawberry pie

This is lime mouse pie with fresh strawberries layered on top and a little pot of fresh cream on the side.  Sweet and sour all at the same time.

Pie Tin: rhubarb and coconut pie

Biscuit base a layer of rhubarb, a layer of cold custard, a layer of whipped cream and a topping of coconut shavings = rhubarb and coconut pie.

And more fresh cream on the side!!!

The Pie Tin Cafe, Newtown

Did I mention that the actual cafe is really cool?  A massive island takes up most of the space in the middle of the room with all the other seating placed underneath the windows.

There’s not a huge amount of space to sit, and the place does get really busy on a weekend but the food (and the coffee and the beers, ciders and little bottles of champagne they have on offer too) is definitely worth waiting for.

The order number they provide you with when you’ve ordered is also really fun: an upside-down pie tin!

order numbers at The Pie Tin

Ok, back to the cakes!

The Pie Tin; apple and blueberry pie

This is apple and blueberry pie – we ate it cold but on a chilly winter day imagine this served warm.  Wow.  Bring your own custard and you’re set!

The Pie Tin; Easter chocolate fudge pie

On our first visit it was Easter and this chocolate fudge pie with marshmallows and chocolate eggs was so, so rich but so creamy and beautiful.

The Pie Tin; snickers pie

But the award for richest, sweetest, sickliest pie goes to this one: Pie Tin’s snickers pie

So, which one do you fancy?!

If you’re interested in stuffing your face with pie all afternoon and washing it down with cider and coffee (and quite frankly who isn’t?) you can find The Pie Tin at 1 Brown Street, Newtown, Sydney

, , ,

23 Responses to A Sweet Tooth In Sydney

1. Monica May 17, 2012 at 8:25 pm #

Chocolate fudge pie with marshmallows on top. Yes please!

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:31 pm #

aahhh Monica it was amazing, you’d love it!!

2. Chris May 17, 2012 at 9:07 pm #

Boy am I hungry now! Great pictures

That cafe will certainly be on our ‘must taste’ list when we go to Australia in January.
    Chris recently posted..An open letter to all you travel types …please shareMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:32 pm #

Awww I’m glad I’ve inspired you to check out somewhere when you head to Oz – let me know what cakes they’re doing when you go there, they change all the time, feel free to make me jealous!

3. Maddie May 17, 2012 at 9:50 pm #

OMG this place looks amazing!! I just want to bury my face in some of those cakes! Will definitely be on the must do list for Sydney.
    Maddie recently posted..Our RTW Itinerary – First Six MonthsMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:34 pm #

You have to go Maddie!! Tell me which cake you tried after!

4. Lindsey May 18, 2012 at 9:21 am #

Oh wow! I can’t believe I’ve never even heard of this place? You better believe I’m going to find an excuse to go soon!
    Lindsey recently posted..7 Natural Wonders … Part TwoMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:35 pm #

Lindsey I think because it’s in Newtown not a lot of people know about it – I love that it’s not in the city though :-)

5. Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad May 18, 2012 at 11:34 pm #

Damn, now I definitely want some cake! It all looks so delicious, I don’t know if I’d be able to choose!
    Jarmo @ Arctic Nomad recently posted..Okonomiyaki, the Japanese pancakeMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:36 pm #

Go with a few friends then you can each try a bit of each others’ – makes the decision a little bit easier! ;-)

6. Waegook Tom May 19, 2012 at 1:03 am #

OHMYGOD I’m craving savoury pies so much right now.

That apple and blueberry pie sounds heavenly, especially if served as you suggest Bev – warm and with custard. The rhubarb and coconut pie sounds amazing too, and the Easter decoration is so cute!

I want to faceplant into all of these, pronto.
    Waegook Tom recently posted..GamjatangMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:38 pm #

I think this place definitely serves as an amazing excuse for you to go to Sydney one day Tom!! I will faceplant with you…….but only if I can have all the marshmallows…mwuah hahaha!

7. Julia May 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm #

REALLY wish I’d known about this place when I was there….even in 24 hours I would’ve squeezed a visit to this place in!!

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:39 pm #

Dammit! I should’ve started stuffing my face with cakes there earlier Julia so that you’d have known about it! ;-) Maybe next time you’re in Sydney, if there is a next time :-)

8. fotoeins | Henry May 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm #

Those pies look dangerously delicious. And if I’m back in Newtown, I’ll have to try and remember this place! Thanks for the tip!
    fotoeins | Henry recently posted..Vancouver city by dayMy Profile

9. Suzy May 21, 2012 at 6:19 am #

The lime mousse pie with strawberries sounds delicious! I would definitely be a regular customer.

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm #

Suzy I think that one was my favourite – not too big and heavy but just really sour/sweet and fresh – yum!

10. Heather May 26, 2012 at 10:16 pm #

When I think of pies, I think of sweet ones instead of savory, even though I lived in Oz for a year and I’m marrying a Brit! So when I think of what I fancy, it’s definitely that chocolate fudge pie!
    Heather recently posted..Saving for travel while planning a weddingMy Profile

• Beverley June 1, 2012 at 4:45 pm #

Heather you can’t go wrong with a bit of chocolate fudge pie for sure! :-)

11. Charu October 12, 2012 at 4:51 pm #

Definitely the chocolate fudge and marshmallows…a no brainer! Did you really eat ALL those cakes?
    Charu recently posted..Four Craft Beers Perfect for the Fall SeasonMy Profile

• Beverley October 15, 2012 at 12:13 am #

As I mentioned in the post Charu, I went with two friends two separate times

12. Maddie January 9, 2013 at 12:47 am #

I have been desperate to go here since reading this post way back in May and I’m finally in Sydney to sample the goods!! Bring on the pie eating ;-)
    Maddie recently posted..An Aussie Christmas on the creekMy Profile