What Do You Actually Want?

What do you actually want?  Do you want to be working in the job you’ve had since Uni which you don’t even like but stay in because it’s too much effort to look for anything else?

Do you want to work really hard and use that huge amount of money you’ve saved up to buy a house because getting on the property ladder is the “sensible thing to do” or do you want to use it to go and experience something?

Is your ‘Bucket List‘ board on Pinterest just a fantasy or do you actually want to make those things happen so that you don’t revisit that board in 10 years time and feel your heart swell in a wave of regret?

Do you want to keep your dreams in a little box that you never open, afraid that if you turn the lock you’ll actually have to change the course of your life?

You can do that.

Keep doing what you’re doing because it’s safe.

Keep turning up at the job you hate because going for an interview and having to start again would be too far out of your comfort zone.

Raglan sunset

I want to……go back here one day!! Raglan was so beautiful!

Keep saving for that ‘dream’ house, if it even exists.  Maybe even write a check-list so that you find the perfect home because then you’ll be happy, right?

Once you’ve got what you wanted, you’ll be happy?

You might think the point of this post is to encourage you to drop tools and travel, give up the life you have to start again on the other side of the world.

And if you want to do that, brilliant.  Let me know if I can help.

But what I’m really trying to say is wake up.  Because as cliche as it sounds, a life lived inside of a comfort zone is mostly not that challenging, not that interesting or inspiring.

If you want to see the world, travel.  If you want to meet more people, leave your apartment.  If you want to learn something new, start teaching yourself.

If you don’t like your job, change it.  Life is too short to be miserable.

What I’m trying to say is don’t take the easy way out, don’t settle for something just because it requires less effort.

Don’t get so comfy inside your bubble that you fall asleep on your feet.

There is a huge difference between going after something because you want it and going after something because you’re expected to want it.

I’m totally not in my comfort zone right now.  This week I started a new job in London and had to meet a whole new group of people.  I’m between places and living out of my suitcase.  I’m worried about money.  I’m flying to Seattle to meet some of my new team.  I’m still trying to find my feet in a city I’ve always visited but never lived in.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor

I knew this part wouldn’t be easy; the transition from 4 months at home to a new life in London.

But then who wants easy?

Who wants to walk the path that everyone else is walking just because everyone else is walking it?

It would have been so easy to leave New Zealand and walk back into my old life.

Except when I got home, my old life wasn’t really there anymore.

So I started a new one somewhere else.  Like I did in Australia.  And New Zealand.

You can too.

, , , ,

15 Responses to What Do You Actually Want?

1. Sally November 8, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

Nice inspiration. :) (Of course I agree!)
    Sally recently posted..iPhone Photoessay: (Delicious) Things I Consumed in IstanbulMy Profile

2. Monica November 8, 2013 at 10:41 pm #

I love this post and I have a list as long as my arm of people I want to send it to. Life is too short not to make the most out of every minute. Sometimes you just need a reminder, a kick up the bum and a bit of luck to get out of your comfort zone and do something new.
    Monica recently posted..Catamaran Cruising and Swimming with Turtles in BarbadosMy Profile

• Beverley November 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm #

I also have a long list of people I want to send it to! Life is definitely too short to not do what you want to do. So many people just kinda go with the flow, which I think is boring!

3. Maddie November 9, 2013 at 1:11 am #

Great post Beverley! Just what I needed at the moment as I’m surrounded by people telling that work is something to be endured and we all need to do it. I don’t care what anyone says, I’ll cling onto my dreams as hard as I can!! You should be so proud of yourself for making this huge change, best of luck in London town :-)
    Maddie recently posted..A drop of adrenaline in the desertMy Profile

• Beverley November 9, 2013 at 12:33 pm #

Thank you Madeleine :) Making changes in your life is definitely scary, especially when there’s so much uncertainty involved but I honestly think I’d rather be a little stressed than coasting along with nothing to challenge me.

4. Marinela November 9, 2013 at 12:19 pm #

This was EXACTLY the post that I needed today. Beverly, you really helped me with some deeeep soul searching: http://wanderstrudel.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/soul-session/.
    I don’t know you in person, but as a blogger, I LOVE you!
    Marinela recently posted..Soul SessionMy Profile

• Beverley November 9, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

You’re absolutely welcome! I just read your Soul Session post and I’m so glad I could help – and speaking to your Dad is always worthwhile. I always feel much better once I’ve spoken to mine :)

• Marinela November 9, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

We hate to admit it, but sometimes our rents have the best advice ;-)
        Marinela recently posted..Soul SessionMy Profile

5. Scarlett November 10, 2013 at 3:29 am #

I LOVE. x
    Scarlett recently posted..Gypsies stole my camerasMy Profile

6. Rebecca November 12, 2013 at 5:32 pm #

quick, motivating and very true post!
    Rebecca recently posted..Flamenco dancing in Gypsy cavesMy Profile

7. Mig November 20, 2013 at 11:19 am #

I love the quote! People have to stop being a victim and start taking control of their lives! It takes rewiring of the brain.
    Mig recently posted..Bike Tour To Panama City: Crossing The Finish Line… The Bridge of the AmericasMy Profile

8. Simon Lee November 20, 2013 at 11:21 pm #

Well said on “Life is too short to be miserable”, this speaks my mind and also one of my inspirational quote for quitting my work and go full time on blogging:)

Thanks for sharing,

Simon Lee
    Simon Lee recently posted..Hiking Trip to Bukit Tabur, Kuala Lumpur (Trip Report)My Profile

9. Flic April 6, 2014 at 11:44 pm #

I just wanted to say thank-you so much for posting this and everything on your blog….

I started reading your posts earlier this week, and it finally helped me realise what I already knew. Fed up of working 52 hour weeks in a job I don’t enjoy- this weekend I booked my flights and visa – flying out to Sydney in 7 weeks! Your posts are well written, useful and seem to echo everything I was thinking!

Thank you for the inspiration!

• Beverley April 6, 2014 at 11:58 pm #

Aw Flic you’re SO welcome! And congratulations on booking your flight and getting your visa for Australia, that’s so exciting! Let me know if you need any help or anything, I made a video last month (which you can find on the homepage) about working holidays in Australia that might help.

Thanks Flic! :)