Discovering Dublin By Foot

from where I stand, wicklow

The first thing I learned in Dublin was that I rely on the Google maps app way too much.  With minimal data on my phone and not wanting to arrive back in London to a huge bill, I was forced to use a real map.

As in, one of those maps that folds up in your pocket.

A map without a blue dot telling me where I was.

The last time I used a proper map was during a Year 7 orienteering exercise which ended with my friends and I lost in a field in Cambridgeshire and having to be picked up in a teacher’s car after failing to arrive at the finish post.

So yeah, I knew my map-reading abilities were a bit rusty.

That said, Dublin was super easy to get around and it’s a city that deserves to be discovered on foot.

That tiny alley might not look overly significant the map, but spying a street of graffiti around a corner and deciding to just go where your feet are taking you? It’s the best way to explore somewhere new.

Walking anywhere in Dublin with me though, I imagine, was sort of frustrating…..

Wait, I just want to take a quick picture of this building.  Oh my God check out all that graffiti.  Hey, look at the colour of that door!  Wow, I just wanna get a photo of this amazing church.

Dublin.  Kid.  Candy store.

It started in Temple Bar.  Graffiti, street art, shop windows and pub doors; all in bright hues.  The grey October skies loomed overhead but there was colour everywhere.

Dublin, IrelandTemple Bar DublinPub in Temple Bar Dublin

It was when we were halfway down a cobbled street in Temple Bar that we discovered something that definitely wasn’t on any maps we’d studied.  The Icon Walk, which you can find just off Fleet Street, documents Irish culture through art – a free crash course in culture if you’re strapped for time, and something I’d definitely recommend you search out if you’re ever in Dublin.

Icon Walk DublinIcon Walk Dublin

Then I realised you can’t walk anywhere in Dublin without bumping into a statue.  They’re everywhere, from James Joyce on O’Connell Street to Molly Malone on Grafton Street.  Of course, the statues wouldn’t truly be a part of Dublin unless they’d been given a series of funny, albeit somewhat derogatory, nicknames over the years.

‘The Hags with the Bags”, “The Stiffy at The Liffy”, “The Tart with the Cart” anyone?

Statues of DublinWe ended up by the river Liffy, stopping for a while to find the lovelocks on Ha’Penny Bridge.  Across the bridge, more street art and a quaint little bookshop underneath The Winding Stair restaurant.

Ha'penny Bridge Dublin

Love locks DublinDublinThe Winding Stair, Dublin

And then there were the buildings that really blew me away. Trinity College, Custom House, Christchurch Cathedral – it was like being in London, where I’m constantly fawning over some building or another.

Trinity College DublinBuildings of DublinCustom House DublinBlue ceiling dublindoor knocker trinity college tour dublin

Have you visited Dublin?  What was your favourite part of discovering the city by foot?

A huge thank you to Ireland.com and Failte Ireland for inviting me to Dublin for The Bram Stoker Festival.  All photographs and opinions are my own.

, , , ,

11 Responses to Discovering Dublin By Foot

1. Anna from The Blonde Banana January 17, 2014 at 2:32 am #

I passed through Dublin on a bus to the airport from Cork. I wished I’d had time to stop and check out the city, especially now that I’m seeing these photos! Looks like a very pretty city.
    Anna from The Blonde Banana recently posted..10 Things To Eat & Drink in MoroccoMy Profile

• Beverley January 17, 2014 at 10:27 am #

It’s such a gorgeous little city Anna, I’d definitely recommend a visit :)

2. Corinne January 17, 2014 at 9:59 am #

Great photos! I love Dublin. Love Temple, love the pubs. Just love it!
    Corinne recently posted..The Colorful Chocolate World of Ritter Sport in Berlin – Take the Kids!My Profile

• Beverley January 17, 2014 at 10:27 am #

I loved it too Corinne! I seriously took so many photos and had such an amazing time. I can’t wait to go back again :)

3. Lizzie January 17, 2014 at 10:52 am #

I walked everywhere in Dublin when I went too, and loved it! There’s something round every corner :)
    Lizzie recently posted..Why You Should Visit Cetinje, the ‘Museum of Montenegro’My Profile

• Beverley January 17, 2014 at 11:00 am #

You’re so right Lizzie and no-one I’ve ever spoken to has not liked Dublin – there’s just something about it that makes everyone fall in love with it! :)

4. Simon Lee January 20, 2014 at 9:04 am #

Went to Belfast for business trip last Nov, only manage to stop for 2 days:( Will be going again in this summer, looks a like a stop in Dublin is a must:)

Simon Lee
    Simon Lee recently posted..Perhentian Free and Easy Tour PackagesMy Profile

5. Fiona January 20, 2014 at 4:41 pm #

Your pictures are making me nostalgic for the city I spent 6 years living in. It’s a long way from the heat of Namibia now
    Fiona recently posted..Decision madeMy Profile

6. Lisa Imogen Eldridge January 21, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

I explored Dublin by foot too. My favourite part was St Stephens Park which is so green and right by all the shops. Perfect for shopping then a stroll in nature. I really enjoyed Dublin and like you, I couldn’t stop taking pictures either. You’re are so colourful!

7. Megan January 24, 2014 at 12:43 pm #

I am a big fan of discovering a city by purposely getting lost and just wandering around for a few hours. Your gorgeous pictures are making me want to visit Dublin now!
    Megan recently posted..My Big, Fat Spanish Vacation – The First Day and a HalfMy Profile

• Beverley January 26, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

Dublin is so great Megan, I’d definitely recommend a visit :) And you’re right, getting lost and just wandering is the best way to get your bearings and discover things that you might not have noticed otherwise :)