Where Will I Travel In 2014?

One of the reasons I was so excited to move to London was because I knew it’d give me the chance to go to all the places in Europe I’d been dreaming about since travel became such a huge part of my life four years ago.

view from the plane

I’ve always loved city breaks and since I’ve been back in England I’ve had a couple of fantastic trips; namely Dublin and Seattle.  That said, I’m also a sucker for a bit of beach time too.  I mean who isn’t, really?

Sure living in London is expensive, and I’m going to have to plan these trips around my full time job, but in 2014 I’m determined to find a balance between work and my love of travel.

So here’s where I want to travel in 2014, along with a couple of trips I’ve already got planned:

Belfast

Belfast City Hall

Belfast City Hall by Macnolete (Flickr)

This has been on my list since I lived in Auckland, where I ended up meeting and living with 2 travellers from Belfast.  I really want to learn more about Belfast’s past by doing a black taxi tour and I know my friends can definitely be relied upon to give me all the information I need to do a pretty comprehensive tour of the best pubs in the city!

Berlin

Berlin Wall

Berlin Wall, by Vahedderdu (Flickr, Creative Commons)

As I’m a quarter German it seems a shame that I’ve not managed to visit Germany yet and, as I’ve heard so many great things about Berlin  it seems like a good idea to start there.  There’s two reasons I really want to go to Berlin this year: I’ve heard that the street art scene is huge and I also really want to see the Berlin wall.  Hopefully I should be heading here around Easter time with some of my friends, so we’ll see what happens.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh (Photo by Heather Carson)

Can you believe that I’ve never been to Scotland despite living in England most of my life?!  No, me neither.  That’s why, in 2014, I’m definitely going to have a long weekend in Edinburgh.  My parents have been a few times and loved it and, now I have friends who live there I’ve got the perfect excuse.

Gdansk

Gdansk, Poland

Gdansk, Poland (photo by Kasha Dubaniewicz)

This is one of the trips I’ve already got planned for this year.   I’ll be flying to Gdansk in February with my friend Brenna and I’m so excited that Poland’s going to be my first trip of 2014.  Why Gdansk?  Well, why not?  The flights were cheap, the hostel we’ve booked is cheap and I can’t wait to walk around The Old Town and get my first taste of Polish food.

Newcastle

Another trip that’s already confirmed, I’ll be heading to Newcastle in the middle of February for Traverse 14 where, as well as listening to the speakers they’ve got lined up over the weekend, I’ll be exploring Newcastle and checking out the city’s best nightspots.  I lived with two girls from Newcastle while I was at Uni in Leeds so I’ve been there before but that was 10 years ago.  Newcastle, it’s been too long!

Croatia; Dubrovnik, Hvar, Split

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Dubrovnick, Croatia (photo by Cailin O’Neil)

It’s my 29th birthday in July and I was originally just going to head straight to Hvar for some much-needed sun, sea and sand.  Then I started reading about how amazing Dubrovnik and Split are and, as I’ll have to transit through one of them anyway, I started to consider working one of them into my plans as well.

I know it’s going to be more of an expensive trip to take but, seriously, it’s my birthday!

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Amsterdam (Photo by Joanne Hill)

I’d love to sit here and list a huge amount of reasons why I want to visit Amsterdam this year but honestly?  It just looks like a really beautiful, really colourful city – somewhere that would be a joy to spend a weekend walking around.

Brighton

Brighton, England

Brighton (photo by Annora Bennett)

Brighton’s only a 90 minute train journey away from London so, even though I know it’ll probably be super-crowded during the summer, I still want to have a weekend by the seaside.  I’ve heard that you can explore the town on a bike tour and, obviously, a bit of reading on the beach wouldn’t go amiss.

Liverpool

Another place I’ve heard brilliant things about, Liverpool’s on the list because I think it’d make a great city-break destination.  That, and the fact that I’ve heard the ghost walks there are amazing.

Iceland

Iceland

Iceland (photo by Heather Carson)

I feel like so many people went to Iceland in 2013, and who can blame them really?  It’s stunning and it’s unlike anywhere that I’ve ever been.  One of my friends even came back from Iceland and told me that she couldn’t quite believe it was real – now that’s my kinda place!

Now it’s your turn; I’d love to know what your travel plans are for 2014!

, ,

26 Responses to Where Will I Travel In 2014?

1. Emma @ Emma's Travel Tales January 20, 2014 at 9:37 pm #

You’ve never been to Scotland before?! Whaaaat! Get yourself to the best country on earth asap ;)
    Emma @ Emma’s Travel Tales recently posted..That Time I Almost Missed My FlightMy Profile

• Beverley January 20, 2014 at 11:34 pm #

Well I didn’t realise I wanted to travel until I was 24 and I’ve basically been out of the country since then! :) I’d definitely make it to Scotland this year though Emma

2. Caro January 20, 2014 at 9:57 pm #

I dig your list! So lucky to live in a big European such as London! So far, we started the year in the Dominican Republic, are headed to one of the places on your list in 3 weeks (announcing it on our FB page hopefully this week) and may actually end up in Guatemala for a film project in the spring/summer!
    Caro recently posted..Now Larimar Punta Cana Resort : Winning over 2 backpackersMy Profile

• Beverley January 20, 2014 at 11:35 pm #

Oooh I can’t wait to find out which one of the list you’re going to be going to Caro! And that film project sounds awesome, well done :)

3. Helen January 20, 2014 at 10:31 pm #

Come and see meeeeeeeee in Liverpool! x
    Helen recently posted..Samburu National Reserve, KenyaMy Profile

• Beverley January 20, 2014 at 11:36 pm #

If I come to Liverpool (and there’s really no reason why I shouldn’t) then of COURSE I’ll be seeing you Helen! :)

4. Alexa Kim January 21, 2014 at 5:09 am #

Gdańsk is my election: http://www.findstreetview.com/map.php?id=140&route=Targ_Węglowy

5. Kirsty January 21, 2014 at 6:13 am #

I also have never been to Scotland!!! Some amazing places on here, I would like to go to Croatia! Dubrovnik is where they film quite a bit of game of thrones!

• skinny chick travelling January 21, 2014 at 10:12 am #

Yep, Dubrovnik is very popular for filming cause of scenery, they r filming now also :)
      If you can, organise a sailing trip for 7-14days – the best to see are the Islands, plus tour around Istria – fine wining and dining :) Split, Zadar, Šibenik, Dubrovnik …

• Beverley January 21, 2014 at 3:28 pm #

I’m so glad I’m not the only Brit who’s not made it to Scotland yet Kirsty! ;)

6. skinny chick travelling January 21, 2014 at 6:40 am #

Seriously, I opened the link through facebook just to see if u plan on coming to Croatia :D If you ll be passing through Zagreb – definitly – let me know ;)

Love peace and pancakes from Croatia :)

• Beverley January 21, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

It’ll probably just be either Dubrovnik or Split and then Hvar but thanks, I’ll definitely keep Zagred in mind!

7. Corinne January 21, 2014 at 12:40 pm #

I love your list…I’m trying to get to Iceland this summer! Yay!

• Beverley January 21, 2014 at 3:31 pm #

Iceland is so popular at the moment (and definitely for you reason!) – I’m concerned about the fact that it’s probably more expensive because of this, or maybe just more expensive in general but then you look at photos as it seems worth it! :)

8. Sophie January 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm #

I feel like this year is my year to go to Amsterdam! It’s been on my list for ages.

I really, really fancy going to Tbilsi but feel like that might have to be later in the year with a bit more money and planning!

Hope you enjoy Croatia, I absolutely loved it.
    Sophie recently posted..Photographing PauMy Profile

• Beverley January 21, 2014 at 3:32 pm #

Thank you Sophie, all I’ve heard about Croatia is great things! :)

9. Chris January 21, 2014 at 3:30 pm #

Looks like a great year coming up Bevster – I look forward to seeing all the pics and posts! :)
    Chris recently posted..My Top 10 Travel Bloggers To Follow In 2014My Profile

• Beverley January 21, 2014 at 3:33 pm #

Thanks Chris, I’m really excited – obviously not 100% that every single destination will happen this year but definitely going to try my best!

10. Katie January 22, 2014 at 2:56 pm #

Brilliant list! And yes, you definitely need to make it to Scotland. Edinburgh is a great city – especially if you manage to make it up there during the Fringe Festival in the summer.

But Scotland is so so much more than just Edinburgh – if you can manage to get to the highlands, the islands, or somewhere like coastal Fife, then you’ll see 4 totally different sides to Scotland. Also, Glasgow gets some bad press as being a bit rough, but it’s also totally worth checking out.

Iceland sounds great as well – I’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about it too, lately. Maybe it’s time I checked it out!
    Katie recently posted..New Zealand: The Bay of IslandsMy Profile

11. Inna February 6, 2014 at 5:11 am #

Hi, been reading your blog for a while, its been very helpful! This post triggered something… we are currently in Oz and we have realised how much we have taken Europe and UK for granted… I have never been to Scotland, or France, or Spain or many of the other destinations across Europe. We were so fixated on travelling the World, we have very much ignored the world on our doorstep… Much like the Australians take Asia for granted… there are so many amazing countries to visit and most of them spend their holidays in Bali… Can’t wait to get back and explore closer to home!… Oh yeah and Liverpool should be top of your list ;) well… maybe after Amsterdam!
    Inna recently posted..Rockholes and falls in LitchfieldMy Profile

• Beverley February 6, 2014 at 11:30 am #

I was exactly the same Inna! Before I went to Australia I’d hardly travelled at all, and it was only while I was halfway through my time in Australia that I realised that there was all of Europe on my doorstep for 24 years and I’d hardly seen any of it! Now that I’m back I’m determined to explore Europe a bit more (first stop, Poland).

12. Inna February 6, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Travelling sure opens your eyes! Even if it opens them to the obvious :D Poland is one of the places I have never been either, I am certain you will have an amazing time though!

• Beverley February 7, 2014 at 9:32 am #

Thanks Inna! I’ll be writing about it when I get back, so maybe that’s another one to add to your Europe list! :)

13. NZ Muse February 11, 2014 at 9:14 pm #

What a great list! Berlin is tops for street art, Edinburgh is super charming and so is Amsterdam (plus, CHEESE!)
    NZ Muse recently posted..Guest post: My first time in New ZealandMy Profile

14. Ivan April 14, 2014 at 5:22 pm #

You have an amazing year planned! I’ve been to Iceland and can agree with your friend. It’s awesome and unlike anywhere I’ve ever been. Enjoy your time there!!
    Ivan recently posted..One Kickass Icelandic WaterfallMy Profile

15. Adelia Guerra April 17, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

I recommend you Dubrovnik. It is special town with his distinct history and culture.
    July is the perfect time to visit Dubrovnik, because then starts the Dubrovnik Summer Festival, full of different events. Dubrovnik has many beaches, coffee places and lot of sunny days. From Dubrovnik you can visit islands, like Lopud, Mljet or you can go in country Montenegro, our experiences are excellent, with the help of Adriatic explore. You planned great trips, surely you’ll enjoy.