Where Will I Travel In 2014?

One of the reasons I was so excited to move to London was because I knew it’d give me the chance to go to all the places in Europe I’d been dreaming about since travel became such a huge part of my life four years ago.

view from the plane

I’ve always loved city breaks and since I’ve been back in England I’ve had a couple of fantastic trips; namely Dublin and Seattle.  That said, I’m also a sucker for a bit of beach time too.  I mean who isn’t, really?

Sure living in London is expensive, and I’m going to have to plan these trips around my full time job, but in 2014 I’m determined to find a balance between work and my love of travel.

So here’s where I want to travel in 2014, along with a couple of trips I’ve already got planned:

Belfast

Belfast City Hall

Belfast City Hall by Macnolete (Flickr)

This has been on my list since I lived in Auckland, where I ended up meeting and living with 2 travellers from Belfast.  I really want to learn more about Belfast’s past by doing a black taxi tour and I know my friends can definitely be relied upon to give me all the information I need to do a pretty comprehensive tour of the best pubs in the city!

Berlin

Berlin Wall

Berlin Wall, by Vahedderdu (Flickr, Creative Commons)

As I’m a quarter German it seems a shame that I’ve not managed to visit Germany yet and, as I’ve heard so many great things about Berlin  it seems like a good idea to start there.  There’s two reasons I really want to go to Berlin this year: I’ve heard that the street art scene is huge and I also really want to see the Berlin wall.  Hopefully I should be heading here around Easter time with some of my friends, so we’ll see what happens.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

Edinburgh (Photo by Heather Carson)

Can you believe that I’ve never been to Scotland despite living in England most of my life?!  No, me neither.  That’s why, in 2014, I’m definitely going to have a long weekend in Edinburgh.  My parents have been a few times and loved it and, now I have friends who live there I’ve got the perfect excuse.

Gdansk

Gdansk, Poland

Gdansk, Poland (photo by Kasha Dubaniewicz)

This is one of the trips I’ve already got planned for this year.   I’ll be flying to Gdansk in February with my friend Brenna and I’m so excited that Poland’s going to be my first trip of 2014.  Why Gdansk?  Well, why not?  The flights were cheap, the hostel we’ve booked is cheap and I can’t wait to walk around The Old Town and get my first taste of Polish food.

Newcastle

Another trip that’s already confirmed, I’ll be heading to Newcastle in the middle of February for Traverse 14 where, as well as listening to the speakers they’ve got lined up over the weekend, I’ll be exploring Newcastle and checking out the city’s best nightspots.  I lived with two girls from Newcastle while I was at Uni in Leeds so I’ve been there before but that was 10 years ago.  Newcastle, it’s been too long!

Croatia; Dubrovnik, Hvar, Split

Dubrovnik, Croatia

Dubrovnick, Croatia (photo by Cailin O’Neil)

It’s my 29th birthday in July and I was originally just going to head straight to Hvar for some much-needed sun, sea and sand.  Then I started reading about how amazing Dubrovnik and Split are and, as I’ll have to transit through one of them anyway, I started to consider working one of them into my plans as well.

I know it’s going to be more of an expensive trip to take but, seriously, it’s my birthday!

Amsterdam

Amsterdam

Amsterdam (Photo by Joanne Hill)

I’d love to sit here and list a huge amount of reasons why I want to visit Amsterdam this year but honestly?  It just looks like a really beautiful, really colourful city – somewhere that would be a joy to spend a weekend walking around.

Brighton

Brighton, England

Brighton (photo by Annora Bennett)

Brighton’s only a 90 minute train journey away from London so, even though I know it’ll probably be super-crowded during the summer, I still want to have a weekend by the seaside.  I’ve heard that you can explore the town on a bike tour and, obviously, a bit of reading on the beach wouldn’t go amiss.

Liverpool

Another place I’ve heard brilliant things about, Liverpool’s on the list because I think it’d make a great city-break destination.  That, and the fact that I’ve heard the ghost walks there are amazing.

Iceland

Iceland

Iceland (photo by Heather Carson)

I feel like so many people went to Iceland in 2013, and who can blame them really?  It’s stunning and it’s unlike anywhere that I’ve ever been.  One of my friends even came back from Iceland and told me that she couldn’t quite believe it was real – now that’s my kinda place!

[hr]

Now it’s your turn; I’d love to know what your travel plans are for 2014!

Comments

• says

Well I didn’t realise I wanted to travel until I was 24 and I’ve basically been out of the country since then! :) I’d definitely make it to Scotland this year though Emma

1. says

I also have never been to Scotland!!! Some amazing places on here, I would like to go to Croatia! Dubrovnik is where they film quite a bit of game of thrones!

• says

Iceland is so popular at the moment (and definitely for you reason!) – I’m concerned about the fact that it’s probably more expensive because of this, or maybe just more expensive in general but then you look at photos as it seems worth it! :)

2. says

I feel like this year is my year to go to Amsterdam! It’s been on my list for ages.

I really, really fancy going to Tbilsi but feel like that might have to be later in the year with a bit more money and planning!

Hope you enjoy Croatia, I absolutely loved it.
    Sophie recently posted..Photographing PauMy Profile

3. says

Brilliant list! And yes, you definitely need to make it to Scotland. Edinburgh is a great city – especially if you manage to make it up there during the Fringe Festival in the summer.

But Scotland is so so much more than just Edinburgh – if you can manage to get to the highlands, the islands, or somewhere like coastal Fife, then you’ll see 4 totally different sides to Scotland. Also, Glasgow gets some bad press as being a bit rough, but it’s also totally worth checking out.

Iceland sounds great as well – I’ve been hearing a lot of buzz about it too, lately. Maybe it’s time I checked it out!
    Katie recently posted..New Zealand: The Bay of IslandsMy Profile

4. says

Hi, been reading your blog for a while, its been very helpful! This post triggered something… we are currently in Oz and we have realised how much we have taken Europe and UK for granted… I have never been to Scotland, or France, or Spain or many of the other destinations across Europe. We were so fixated on travelling the World, we have very much ignored the world on our doorstep… Much like the Australians take Asia for granted… there are so many amazing countries to visit and most of them spend their holidays in Bali… Can’t wait to get back and explore closer to home!… Oh yeah and Liverpool should be top of your list ;) well… maybe after Amsterdam!
    Inna recently posted..Rockholes and falls in LitchfieldMy Profile

• says

I was exactly the same Inna! Before I went to Australia I’d hardly travelled at all, and it was only while I was halfway through my time in Australia that I realised that there was all of Europe on my doorstep for 24 years and I’d hardly seen any of it! Now that I’m back I’m determined to explore Europe a bit more (first stop, Poland).

5. says

Travelling sure opens your eyes! Even if it opens them to the obvious :D Poland is one of the places I have never been either, I am certain you will have an amazing time though!

6. Adelia Guerra says

I recommend you Dubrovnik. It is special town with his distinct history and culture.
    July is the perfect time to visit Dubrovnik, because then starts the Dubrovnik Summer Festival, full of different events. Dubrovnik has many beaches, coffee places and lot of sunny days. From Dubrovnik you can visit islands, like Lopud, Mljet or you can go in country Montenegro, our experiences are excellent, with the help of Adriatic explore. You planned great trips, surely you’ll enjoy.

• says

Enjoy Brighton Ele! I’ve not made it there yet although I’m hoping to plan a weekend there in Summer – I know it’ll be super crowded then but at least the weather will (hopefully) be nice :)